In the most beautiful city in the world you will find a lot of places to visit full of history and art. Places that with their unique atmosphere will fill you with unforgettable moments.
PLACES OF INTEREST
SAN MIGUEL DE ALLENDE
San Miguel Arcangel Parish
The work that can not go unnoticed by anyone thanks to the contrast generated by its Gothic style architecture of Medieval Europe, next to the colonial style of the main square. This style was acquired by the master stonemason of the city Don Zeferino Gutiérrez, changes he made between 1880 and 1890 at the request of a bishop. He had to demolish a large part of it to rebuild it in a new image, which is the origin of the new style of the parish.
In the Allende Crafts Market you can appreciate some of the techniques and materials mastered by the artisans of the region, such as brass, wool, carved quarry and wood. These techniques and materials make a magical place full of folklore, with its colors give life to the market and create unparalleled textures. At the same time you can find various handcrafted stones and numerous antiques. Everywhere you will find different establishments covering every little street, offering beautiful handmade products.
Casa de Allende Museum
The Historical Museum of San Miguel de Allende was inaugurated in February 1990. The building was the family home of Ignacio Allende and was inhabited by its last owners until 1979, after which it was acquired by the government of the state of Guanajuato. It is the first museum to be restructured as part of the celebrations of the Bicentennial of the Independence by the National Institute of Anthropology and History.
La Aurora Factory
Durante el siglo 20 y por más de 90 años, fue una de las fábricas textiles más importantes del país. Construido por una compañía inglesa en 1902, posee 12 arcos de cantera y puertas de hierro forjado que se han mantenido prácticamente intactas desde entonces. Ahora, alberga numerosas galerías de arte con cerca de 40 artistas, restaurantes e incluso una librería. Algunos artistas ofrecen cursos y talleres.
Templo de San Francisco
Construction began in 1778 and took more than 20 years to finish; different architectural styles are observed according to the period and trends of the time. With a pure churrigueresque façade, a huge amount of carved stone figures, sharp columns and a neoclassical style bell tower built in 1799 by the famous architect Francisco Eduardo Tresguerras; makes this temple contain time in every corner.
Temple of Our Lady of Health
This church has a different atmosphere from those that could be said to show a fixation on Calvary or suffering. It can be seen from Plaza Allende on Insurgentes Street. It has a baroque front from the XVIII century that ends in a carapace worked in stone, in the interior you can perceive art from the colonial era and a dome of beautiful blue and yellow rollers.
Angela Peralta Theater
In April 1871, the construction of this theater began under the initiative of the main revenue administrator Juan Mañón. Two years later, the construction was finished with adobe walls and tejamanil roof. At that time the soprano Ángela Peralta amazed Mexico with her wonderful voice, and since she was in Guanajuato at that time, it was agreed that she would be the one to inaugurate the museum, on May 11, 1871. In 1886 the first repairs were made to the theater and the tin roof was conditioned. In 1915 the current façade was built, a beautiful work full of harmony, simplicity and good taste.
Varied vineyards in the area, places that have no comparison, in San Miguel de Allende you can live the whole experience of the world of wine, learn about its processes, walk through its beautiful fields, taste the tastings and enjoy the moment.
Sanctuary of Atotonilco
Sanctuary built in 1740 and inspired by the Holy Sepulcher located in Jerusalem. World famous for having participated in the history of the Independence of Mexico, when the priest Miguel Hidalgo, took a banner with the image of the Virgin of Guadalupe as the flag of the insurgent army. With an interesting architecture, full of large walls and a spectacular clock tower, it gives an air of fortress outside the entrance, which is shown with arches and open to everyone. A building named by UNESCO as part of the World Heritage Site since 2008.
Benito Juarez Park
A park and garden founded in the early twentieth century, designed in French style with fountains, ponds, forged steel benches, antique bridges and trails. It is a space full of plants and trees of the region such as custard apple, mulberry and walnut trees. A recreational place with games for children, basketball courts and food spaces.
El Chorro is a fabulous place for morning walks, exercise or just relaxing. During the 18th century, the Canal family gave the order to build baths, washing machines and a primitive chapel which is located at the highest part of El Chorro. The small chapel at the top of this hike is a pleasant place worth visiting. A little further down from the chapel is an old building that is now a cultural center.
La Esquina Museo del Juguete Popular Mexicano, was created with the intention of permanently displaying a collection of more than one thousand objects acquired by its owner, teacher Angélica Tijerina over fifty years, and which are considered an example of the history of handicraft production in Mexico. The museum was conceived as a space dedicated to stimulating the educational development of children, allowing them to value play as a form of stimulus to imagination, creativity, social interaction and family cohesion, recovering the traditions associated with the games that characterize the national culture and supporting close contact with the artisans of traditional toys.
Bill Levasseur, a citizen of San Miguel de Allende originally from the United States, started a colorful collection of traditional Mexican masks 23 years ago, as a way to occupy his free time while he was in the city. Today, this collection has more than 500 objects and they are exhibited in the Mask Museum; a place that Levasseur opened a little more than 5 years ago and that has become an attraction in San Miguel. During the tour through the museum, visitors can appreciate masks made of clay, leather, wood, papier-mâché and fiberglass, which are complemented with texts and videos of typical Mexican dances.
Cañada de la virgen
Toltec fortress abandoned about 900 years ago, a structure considered monumental for its dimensions, consisting of truncated pyramidal bases of various sizes and styles that form spaces such as sunken courtyards, plazas, esplanades and a 1000m long causeway. It is located 16 km southwest of the city, on an area of approximately 12 hectares along the central basin of the Laja River.
It comprises 67 hectares of natural reserve land with a great biodiversity. In addition to preserving and caring for this natural reserve, the garden houses an extensive botanical collection of cacti and other succulent Mexican plants, many of them rare, threatened or endangered. The plant collection is considered one of the most complete in the country and is housed in the Conservatory of Mexican Plants, a pavilion specially designed for its exhibition. From the information center, a network of trails leads to various places and points of interest in the reserve.